The Wild Robot: Read Aloud

The Wild Robot: Chapters 78 – 80

Friday, May 29th, 2020

Our shared online reading of “The Wild Robot” by Peter Brown comes to an end today.  You, my friends, should be incredibly proud of yourselves!  You just finished an 80 chapter novel!  Bravo!  What did you think of the story?  I would love to hear your feedback.

I always feel a bit sad when a good story ends.  What about you?  How are you feeling?  The great thing about feeling that way means you enjoyed the story and there are so many good stories out there to enjoy!  If you would like to listen to book 2, “The Wild Robot Escapes“, you can with your Vancouver Island Regional Library card for free here!

Peter Brown is a wonderful author and illustrator and we have many of his books in our school library:

Many of you may recognize these titles as I have shared many of the stories with you during story time at the bibliothèque!

Find today’s chapters 78-80 here: 

I look forward to seeing many of you on Monday!  I really would appreciate any feedback and your thoughts on the story.  I would love to make a few book quote posters with your feedback.

Yours in reading,

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 75 – 77

Thursday, May 28th, 2020

(Said in Roz’s voice) “Hello, I am Mme Zibin, teacher-librarian 1436.”

Sorry about not being able to record and load yesterday.  There were many meetings that began early in the morning and ended late.  As a result, I have recorded three chapters for today and already recorded the last chapters for tomorrow.  Tomorrow we are finished the book!  What have you thought of The Wild Robot?  Are you interested in reading “The Wild robot Escapes”?

Find chapters 75 – 77 here:

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 73 – 74

Tuesday, May 26th, 2020

Ah!  These two chapters are action-packed!  There’s only RECO 1 left.  Do you predict he will trap his target, Roz?  If yes, how will he trap her?  If no, why do you think RECO 1 will fail?

Find chapters 73 – 74 here: 

I’m checking out “The Wild Robot Escapes” from the library today.  I need to find out what happens!

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 70 – 72

Monday, May 25th, 2020

Making Predictions:

Today, the animals go to war with the RECOs.  What do you think the animals could use to defend Roz?  How can the animals outsmart the RECOs?  Remember, they only have their animal instincts and the resources of the forest and island to use.  What do you predict?

Find chapters 70 – 72 here:

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 66 – 69

Friday, May 22nd, 2020

Well, we are almost done the novel; there are only 11 chapters left!  The Wild Robot will be complete by the end of next Friday.

Wow, does the novel take a turn today!  I now know why book two is called, “The Wild Robot Escapes“:

Lookcarefully at the book cover for book two.  Where is Roz?  How did she get there?  The next 11 chapters will reveal the information, but what do you predict?

Find chapters 66 – 69 here: 

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 63 – 65

Thursday, May 21st, 2020

Today we hear about the winter Brightbill had away from the island.  What do you think he saw?

Making Connections:

1.  Where do you see Canadian geese in our community?  What are they doing when you see them?
  2. What time of year do you hear the sound of geese honking overhead?  Where do you think they are going?
  3. Using what you already know (prior knowledge) about Canadian geese in our community, what do you predict Brightbill may have seen in his travels?

Find chapters 63 – 65 here:

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 59 – 62

Wednesday, May 20th, 2020

Spring is my favourite time of year.  I love the warmer weather, the greens of tree leaves beginning to burst from buds, new flowers and not so many insects.  What about you?

Making Connections

1.  What happens to our environment in the spring?  What comes out of hiding, or hibernation?
  2. What types of animals do we see returning to the forests and the rivers around us?

Find chapters 59- 62 here: 

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 55 – 58

Tuesday, May 19th, 2020

Apologies!  I had posted the chapters last night at midnight but due to technical difficulties it didn’t post.  I appreciate a parent letting me know today.

Making Connections

1.  Natural disasters, such as earthquakes, severe storms and floods, famines, droughts, help to keep animals and nature in balance.  What do you think can happen to that balance when man steps in and throws the balance off?  Here a very interesting video you should watch on when wolves were reintroduced into Yellowstone National Park:

2.  In today’s reading, Roz helps the animals make it through the severe winter freeze.  How do you think this will affect the animal population on the island in the spring?

3.  Should she have helped?

Find chapters 55 – 58 here: 

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 51 – 54

Friday, May 15th, 2020

Making Connections

1. What happens to the trees in the autumn and winter?
  2. What happens to animals in the autumn and winter?
  3. Imagine the animals we have met in our story, The Wild Robot.  Think of all the animals you can from the story.  How do you think they are preparing for the winter?  The bears?  The beavers? The geese?

Today’s reading is about the fall and winter on the island.  Using what you already know about the how animals prepare for the winter (prior knowledge) what do you predict will happen in today’s chapters?

Find Chapters 51 – 54 here: 

Wishing you the very best long weekend!  I will see you back here on Tuesday.

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 47 – 50

Thursday, May 14th, 2020

I love a good problem.  It forces you to flex your critical and creative thinking muscles.  Roz lost her foot in the last chapter.  Can you imagine and design a new foot for her?  All you can use is what you can find in the forest.

Today, we learn about teamwork, collaboration and the ingenuity of the animals.  Working together is a powerful thing.

Find chapters 47 – 50 here:

Sound issues fixed today!

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 44 – 46

Wednesday, May 13th, 2020

Oh reader, the bullies come out to play in today’s chapters.

Making Connections:

1. What is a bully?
  2. Why do bullies bully?
  3. Why do you think the sibling bears bully Roz and Brightbill?

Find chapters 44 – 46 here: 

I apologize the background is a little loud today.  It was a bad tech day today.

🙁 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 39 – 43

Tuesday, May 12th, 2020

In today’s reading, Brightbill is starting to ask questions about his mother and about how the two of them became a family.  ROz struggles to help Brightbill understand but it’s difficut for Roz as she doesn’t understand herself where she came from.

Making Connections:

1. Think about your own family.  Where do you come from?  Are you from the Cowichan Valley?  Are your parents?  Where did your great-great grandparents come from?
  2. All of our families are different and that’s what makes us beautiful and unique.  I love this poster from Canadian illustrator Elise Gravel:

Find chapters 39 – 43 here: 

I love this quote about families,

“All families are different and unique , but they all have one thing in common – love.”  – Unknown

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 35 – 38

Monday, May 11th, 2020

Today, Brightbill learns how to swim for the first time and makes a new friend.   Roz watches it all and she makes some important realizations about Brightbill and what he means to her.

Making Connections:

1.  What is one new skill you learned recently and how did you feel when you were able to learn the skill?  Why?
  2. Think of a good friend.  When and where did you meet?  What makes them a good friend?

Find chapters 35 – 38 here: 

Happy listening,

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 31 – 34

Friday, May 8th, 2020

Today’s chapters seem fitting for the special day coming up this Sunday – Mother’s Day!

Roz is quickly learning how to become an excellent mother to Brightbill, the gosling.  Her gentleness is being noticed by all the other animals and Roz begins making new friends.

Reflections on today’s reading:

1. Why did Roz have The Nest built?
  2. Why did Roz plant the garden?

Making Connections:

1. Reflect on all the hard work your mother does for you.  What are some of the tasks she takes on throughout the day to take care of you?   How can you show your mom that you love her and are grateful for all she does?

Find chapters 31 – 34 here: 

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mother’s out there!  I recognize all the hard work you do for your families, especially during this time.

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 28 – 30

Thursday, May 7th, 2020

I loved today’s chapters.  One of my favourite actions is collaboration — working with others. We all have strengths and ideas to share.  In today’s chapters, the animals collaborate with Roz in order to help the gosling.

Making Connections:

1. Remember a time you collaborated with friends, classmates or family to complete a task.  What did you work on?  Whas it successful?  How did it make you feel?
  2. Roz thought the gosling could name himself.  If you could name yourself, what name would you choose?

Find chapters 28 – 30 here: 

I hope you enjoy today’s readings as much as I have!

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 25 – 27

Wednesday, May 6th, 2020

In yesterday’s readings, we found out what happened to a goose nest after Roz’s accident.  I left you with this image:

From looking at the illustration, what do you predict may happen in today’s readings?  What do you know already about geese and goslings?

Find chapters 25 – 27 here: 

How will Roz be able to help?

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 20 – 24

Tuesday, May 5th, 2020

The author Peter Brown is a successful author for a reason.

In yesterday’s chapters, I shared how I as a reader was grwoing fond of Roz the robot.  In today’s chapters, the animals meet Roz.  They judge her before getting to know her.  They bully her.  Luckily, Roz is a robot and she has no emotions but Peter Brown is hoping that us as readers – and as humans – have feelings.  He hopes we feel the hurt Roz should be feeling.

Today’s theme is bullying.  The animals bully Roz because she’s different from all of them.  What bullying behaviours do you hear in today’s chapters?  Us feeling Roz’s hurt is called empathy.

1. If you could talk to the animals, what would you say to them about their behaviour towards Roz?
  2. What would you say to Roz to help her feel better?  (If she could feel, of course.)

Find chapters 20 -24 here: 

Today’s chapters remind to check myself and how I may accept or treat others.  It reminds me of a quote I heard once,

“That person you don’t understand.  They’re a lesson you haven’t learned.”  Jay Shetty.

Roz is learning a lot of lessons from the animals.  She is beginnig to understand them.  It’s time for the animals to start learning from Roz.  What lessons can you learn today from watching others in your life?

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 15 – 19

Monday, May 4th, 2020

May the Fourth be with you!

I really enjoyed chapters 15 – 19.  Roz is one smart bot – an incredible critical thinker.  She has faced one problem after another and rather than let an event break her, she analyzes the problem, asks questions, reflects on what’s working and what’s not.  Roz’s willingness to try and to not be afraid of failing leads to her success in today’s chapters.  It takes critical thinking to solve problems and it takes perseverance to keep trying – Roz never gives up!

1. Listen for examples of Roz using her critical thinking skills in today’s chapters.  What is one problem she solves using critical thinking?

Find chapters 15 – 19 here: 

Chapter 19 reminded me of a piece of poetry.  I found it calming and very visual.  Roz is a very clever robot and I find I’m beginning to like her very much.

Today, what new observations can you make about the world around you?  I’d love to hear.

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 11 – 14

Friday, May 1st, 2020

Happy May Day!

I love the story of The Wild Robot because we get to visit the awesome force of Mother Nature.  In Chapters 11 – 14, we learn about the survival skills of animals and how they intuitively know how to take care of themselves.  Roz, is still learning that skills herself.   Luckily, she has nature as her role model.

Find Chapters 11 – 14 here: 

I left you with a cliff hanger today.  What do you think happened to Roz?

Have a grrrreat weekend!  😉

😉 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 7 – 10

Thursday, April 30th, 2020

Today we are still exploring the beginning of the story.  We learn more about the island and its inhabitants.  We are learning more about Roz.  Roz is a robot with perseverancePerseverance is when you keep trying and never give up.  How does Roz show perseverance in today’s chapters?

Find Chapters 7 – 10 here: 

We can all learn a lot from Roz about dusting off and trying again.

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 3 – 6

Wednesday, April 29th, 2020

In today’s chapters we meet Roz and learn about her as she comes to life on the island.

Today’s ideas to think about:

1. Setting: What have you learned so far about the island an its inhabitants?  who are the animals we have met so far?  Can you connect the animals to our home of Vancouver Island?
  2. Characters: Who is Roz?  What do you learn about her personality?
  3. Making Connections:  In chapter 5, the otters scurry away form Roz, afraid.  Have you ever met someone for the first time and been afraid of her or him?  Why?  Can you connect your feelings to how the otters were feeling?

Find Chapters 3-6 here:

Enjoy,

🙂 Mme Zibin

The Wild Robot: Chapters 1 and 2

Tuesday, April 28th, 2020

Welcome to our second read aloud novel, “The Wild Robot” by author and illustrator Peter Brown.   My plan is to post four chapters a day.  For our first reading today, I have posted only two chapters.  Chapters are very short and only 3-4 pages in length.

In the beginning of any story, the reader is always introduced to the setting of the story and the main characters of the story.   By recognizing the setting and characters, you will better understand the story as it unfolds.

Today’s ideas to think about:

1. Setting: Where does the story takes place?
  2. Characters: Who is in the story?
  3. How does Chapter 1 and 2 make you feel?  Why do you think you feel this way?

Find Chapters 1 and 2 here:

I hope you enjoy the story!

À demain,

🙂 Mme Zibin

About The Wild Robot By Peter Brown

Welcome to our second read aloud, “The Wild Robot” by author and illustrator Peter Brown.  The story is one of survival, friendship and family and is recommended for ages 8+ by Common Sense Media. See CSM’s review here.

From the author:

“When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone on a remote, wild island. Why is she there? Where did she come from? And, most important, how will she survive in her harsh surroundings?

Roz’s only hope is to learn from the island’s hostile animal inhabitants. When she tries to care for an orphaned gosling, the other animals finally decide to help, and the island starts to feel like home. Until one day, the robot’s mysterious past comes back to haunt her…”

My favourite book reviewer, Grade 5 teacher Colby Sharp, feels “The Wild Robot” is a life changing read he wishes was around when he was younger:

After filming the first two chapters Sunday, I realize I will have to share four chapters a day to finish the novel within a reasonable amount of time.  Chapters are only a few pages and last on average 6 minutes or so each.  I hope you will join me!

🙂 Mme Zibin

print
Skip to toolbar