Drawing and Designing Wild Robots

Have you been listening to our daily read aloud, “The Wild Robot” by Peter Brown?   If yes — you rock!  If not, it’s never too late to start.  You are missing out on a lovely and exciting story.

Roz is a shipwrecked robot on an island inhabited by foxes, bears, geese and all the other lovely animals we find in our Pacific west coast.  Learning from the animals on the island, Roz tries to survive in the wilderness.  Unfortunately, the animals are not too accepting of her.

Today, we are going to do a quick and easy directed-line drawing “warm-up” of Roz and the trees that surround her in the forest:

Draw Roz the Wild Robot from “The Wild Robot” here:

Next, we need to draw our plan or design for OUR wild robot!   Daniel Salmieri, the illustrator of “Robo-Sauce” created his robot sketch when planning the story with author Adam Rubin:

From Daniel Salmieri

All good designs come from a sketch of the ideas in our heads:

From artist Mayu Kawakami, robot concept sketch

I’m pulling inspiration from insects.  I’m really fascinated by Green Lacewings for a number of reasons:

1. Lacewings are beneficial insects for our gardens. They eat the bugs that could destroy the vegetables we are trying to grow.
  2. Like bees, lacewings are pollinators.  Without pollinators, we would have no flowering plants – that means no fruit people!
  3. I love lace and the name “lacewing” gives me a delightful vision of an elegant beautiful creature with delicate and fragile wings made from  bobbin lace or laser cut paper lace.
  4. Lacewings are ferocious when it comes to devouring garden pests.  How wonderful would it be to combine a delicate animal with the strong metal of a robot?
A green lacewing
Here’s my design sketch for my lacewing robot: 
Mme Zibin’s Robot design concept
Remember:

A design sketch is just a starting point.  As an artist, you always have the right to change your design as you build.

I can’t wait to see what you come up with!  Tomorrow we build.

ACTIVATE ROBO-DESIGN BLAST…

🙂 Mme Zibin

print